Friday, March 20, 2009

Road Trip to 2009 Boston Printmakers Biennial

Several of the Newburyport Art Association printmakers took in the Boston Printmakers 2009 Biennial show today. The Juror, Roberta Waddell Curator Emerita, The New York Public Library had the following to say about the show "I wanted to include as many artists as possible, while documenting the variety of printmaking media available today. As I reviewed the images, several themes gradually emerged: figures and faces; the landscape and still life; architecture, the city and suburbs; abstraction; political and social commentary; and finally, words used as images. These leitmotifs served as useful, but loose guidelines during the selection process and helped shape the show. Once I made my choices and learned the names of the contributing artists, I continued my research and uncovered themes and concerns more subtle and complex than those initial categories could begin to suggest. No matter what their issues and agendas, however, I found that the artists included in the Biennial successfully communicated their artistic intentions through carefully chosen printmaking techniques (sometimes combining processes, sometimes in concert with drawing and painting)." For a full statement by the juror, Roberta Waddell go to http://www.bostonprintmakers.org/biennal.html#jurorStatement

No comments:

Post a Comment